A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P R S T U V W Show All


One of the compartments of a door or window consisting of a single sheet of glass in a frame; also, a sheet of glass.
A major component of a sliding glass door, consisting of a light of glass in a frame installed within the main (or outer) frame of the door. A panel may be sliding or fixed.
In replacement window work, the outside aluminum trim that can extend around the perimeter of the window opening; used to cover up the old window material. Panning can be installed in the opening before the window, or can be attached directly to the window before installation.
Particle dispersed glazing
Glazing in which the orientation of small particles between two sheets of glass is controlled electrically, thus changing its optical properties.
Parting stop
A narrow strip, either integral or applied, that holds a sash or panel in position in a frame.
Peak load
The maximum thermal load to be provided by a heating or cooling system in a house.
Glazing with the optical properties that change in response to the amount of incident light.
Picture window
A large, fixed window framed so that it is usually, but not always, longer horizontally than vertically to provide a panoramic view.
Pivot window
A window with a sash that swings open or shut by revolving on pivots at either side of the sash or at top and bottom.
Plastic film
A thin plastic substrate, sometimes used as the inner layers in a triple- or quadruple-glazed window.
Artificial substances made of organic polymers that can be extruded or molded into various shapes including window frames and sashes.
Plate glass
A rolled, ground, and polished product with true flat parallel plane surfaces affording excellent vision. It has been replaced by float glass.
Polyvinylchloride (PVC)
An extruded or molded plastic material used for window framing and as a thermal barrier for aluminum windows. Sometimes called vinyl.
Projected window
A window fitted with one or more sashes opening on pivoted arms or hinges. Refers to casements, awnings, and hoppers.